Bible Research Tools Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Bible Research Tools Discussion Forum is now online!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Ye are Gods?  (Read 349 times)

George

• View Profile
Ye are Gods?
« on: September 03, 2017, 07:41:35 PM »

Pastor David Curtis came out with a new video on the Psalms 82 phrase, "Ye are Gods", that Jesus quoted in a John 10:31-42 discourse:

The unedited version of "You Are Gods: Part 2" is also available on livestream.com. The sermon begans at the 54:50 minute mark:

https://livestream.com/accounts/1438738/events/7697688/videos/162249992/player?width=480&height=270&autoPlay=true&mute=false

The transcripts are not available at this time.

Update! I found the plain mp4 link.  It will start at the beginning of the sermon:

http://pdvod.new.livestream.com/events/0000000000757518/e57f7896-f211-4d74-b0be-20c84e10d9d4_678.mp4#t=54:52

Update! The transcript for Part 1 is available at:

http://www.bereanbiblechurch.org/transcripts/john/john_10_31-42_you-are-gods-pt-01.htm

Update! The Youtube link for Part 2 is available at

George

« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 12:25:53 AM by George »

Administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bible Research Tools
Re: Ye are Gods?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 06:47:20 PM »

Pastor David Curtis came out with a new video on the Psalms 82 phrase, "Ye are Gods", that Jesus quoted in a John 10:31-42 discourse:

Thanks, George.

I appended this video to the "Spiritual Warfare" playlist by Pastor Curtis on the BRT website:

http://bibleresearchtools.com/spiritual-realm/

I will add Part II when it is available on Youtube.

Dan

FaithIsKey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 09:00:52 PM »

I watched that in Youtube, by clicking the Youtube icon, so I could browse the boards while listening. This video on the same subject auto-played next:

Faith

Rev20

• Partial Preterist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 10:07:09 AM »

I watched that in Youtube, by clicking the Youtube icon, so I could browse the boards while listening. This video on the same subject auto-played next:

The spokesman on the video has adopted Augustine's interpretation by assuming the words "ye are gods" are referring to Israel's election, citing Deut 14:1-2 as justification:

"It is this "chosen-ness" of the Jewish people that apparently places them in the category of gods... It refers to the destiny that God has in mind for those who are called and chosen."

The Lord appears to be mocking such claims in Isaiah:

"Let them bring them forth, and shew us what shall happen: let them shew the former things, what they be, that we may consider them, and know the latter end of them; or declare us things for to come. Shew the things that are to come hereafter, that we may know that ye are gods: yea, do good, or do evil, that we may be dismayed, and behold it together." -- Isa 41:22-23 KJV

Nevertheless, there are similar statements in Psalms 82 and Deut 14 that are worth considering:

"Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy. Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the wicked." -- Ps 82:3-4 KJV

"And the Levite, (because he hath no part nor inheritance with thee,) and the stranger, and the fatherless, and the widow, which are within thy gates, shall come, and shall eat and be satisfied; that the Lord thy God may bless thee in all the work of thine hand which thou doest." -- Deu 14:29 KJV

One of the sins of Israel in Malachi that led to the curse was this:

"And I will come near to you to judgment; and I will be a swift witness against the sorcerers, and against the adulterers, and against false swearers, and against those that oppress the hireling in his wages, the widow, and the fatherless, and that turn aside the stranger from his right, and fear not me, saith the Lord of hosts." -- Mal 3:5 KJV

The Lord insinuates in the following statements that the most serious of those crimes is withholding judgment from the fatherless, widows and strangers:

"Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings. Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation." -- Mal 3:8-9 KJV

That came from these commandments from the days of Moses:

"Thou shalt neither vex a stranger, nor oppress him: for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt. Ye shall not afflict any widow, or fatherless child. If thou afflict them in any wise, and they cry at all unto me, I will surely hear their cry; And my wrath shall wax hot, and I will kill you with the sword; and your wives shall be widows, and your children fatherless." -- Exo 22:21-24 KJV

"When thou hast made an end of tithing all the tithes of thine increase the third year, which is the year of tithing, and hast given it unto the Levite, the stranger, the fatherless, and the widow, that they may eat within thy gates, and be filled; Then thou shalt say before the Lord thy God, I have brought away the hallowed things out of mine house, and also have given them unto the Levite, and unto the stranger, to the fatherless, and to the widow, according to all thy commandments which thou hast commanded me: I have not transgressed thy commandments, neither have I forgotten them." -- Deu 26:12-13 KJV

"Cursed be he that perverteth the judgment of the stranger, fatherless, and widow. And all the people shall say, Amen." -- Deu 27:19 KJV

And, so, Israel was accursed:

"For I could wish that myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh:" -- Rom 9:3 KJV

Why would Israel break such a serious commandment?  Perhaps because they began to follow strange gods that taught greed, and to marginalized those in need, such as these gods:

"God has taken his place in the divine council; in the midst of the gods he holds judgment: "How long will you judge unjustly and show partiality to the wicked? Selah Give justice to the weak and the fatherless; maintain the right of the afflicted and the destitute. Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked." They have neither knowledge nor understanding, they walk about in darkness; all the foundations of the earth are shaken." -- Ps 82:1-5 ESV

Those gods were controlled by this one:

"And the devil took him up and showed him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time, and said to him, "To you I will give all this authority and their glory, for it has been delivered to me, and I give it to whom I will." -- Luk 4:5-6 ESV

That god was stripped of his control over the nations at the cross:

"And Jesus came and said to them, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me." -- Mat 28:18 ESV

"Now war arose in heaven, Michael and his angels fighting against the dragon. And the dragon and his angels fought back, but he was defeated, and there was no longer any place for them in heaven. And the great dragon was thrown down, that ancient serpent, who is called the devil and Satan, the deceiver of the whole world--he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him." -- Rev 12:7-9 ESV

"I said, "You are gods, sons of the Most High, all of you; nevertheless, like men you shall die, and fall like any prince." Arise [or, Be resurrected], O God, judge the earth; for you shall inherit all the nations!" -- Ps 82:6-8 ESV

The video does make what appears to be a valid case in the statement:

"It refers to the destiny that God has in mind for those who are called and chosen."

The scripture seems to indicate that the faithful children of Israel have been adopted to replace the rebellious sons of God in heaven:

"And now if ye will indeed hear my voice, and keep my covenant, ye shall be to me a peculiar people above all nations; for the whole earth is mine. And ye shall be to me a royal priesthood and a holy nation: these words shalt thou speak to the children of Israel." -- Exo 19:5-6 LXX

"For the creation waits with eager longing for the revealing of the sons of God." -- Rom 8:19 ESV

"But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light." -- 1Pet 2:9 ESV

I assume those are the saints of the Most High who receive the kingdom:

"But the saints of the Most High shall receive the kingdom and possess the kingdom forever, forever and ever.'" -- Dan 7:18 ESV

Rev

LXXResearcher

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 11:20:56 PM »

The scripture seems to indicate that the faithful children of Israel have been adopted to replace the rebellious sons of God in heaven:

"And now if ye will indeed hear my voice, and keep my covenant, ye shall be to me a peculiar people above all nations; for the whole earth is mine. And ye shall be to me a royal priesthood and a holy nation: these words shalt thou speak to the children of Israel." -- Exo 19:5-6 LXX

"For the creation waits with eager longing for the revealing of the sons of God." -- Rom 8:19 ESV

"But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light." -- 1Pet 2:9 ESV

I assume those are the saints of the Most High who receive the kingdom:

"But the saints of the Most High shall receive the kingdom and possess the kingdom forever, forever and ever.'" -- Dan 7:18 ESV

That seems to be the message Christ was delivering to the Jews, here:

"When the lord therefore of the vineyard cometh, what will he do unto those husbandmen? They say unto him, He will miserably destroy those wicked men, and will let out his vineyard unto other husbandmen, which shall render him the fruits in their seasons. Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner: this is the Lord's doing, and it is marvellous in our eyes? Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof. And whosoever shall fall on this stone shall be broken: but on whomsoever it shall fall, it will grind him to powder. And when the chief priests and Pharisees had heard his parables, they perceived that he spake of them." -- Mat 21:40-45 KJV

Peter told the children of Israel that came out of darkness that they were a chosen race -- a holy nation:

"But ye are a chosen [race], a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light;" -- 1Pet 2:9 KJV

Those who rejected Christ were cut off from the people:

"For Moses truly said unto the fathers, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear in all things whatsoever he shall say unto you. And it shall come to pass, that every soul, which will not hear that prophet, shall be destroyed from among the people." -- Acts 3:22-23 KJV

It appears the Lord took the kingdom away from the Jewish leadership ("the children of the devil", John 8:44) and gave it to the faithful remnant of Israel (the "holy nation"). That prophecy may have been fulfilled at the cross when Jesus took the control of the nations away from the devil (Luk 4:5-6; Psalms 82:8; Matt 28:18). At that time he also delivered the children of Israel from the bondage of the first covenant:

"For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband." -- Rom 7:2 KJV

When Jesus, the husband, died, his wife, Israel, was free from the law -- free from the old covenant. Recall this passage:

"The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me; because the Lord hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound; To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn;" -- Isa 61:1-2 KJV

And this:

"these are the two covenants; the [covenant] from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar. For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children. But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all." -- Gal 4:24-26 KJV

"Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church [the assembly above in heavenly Jerusalem -- Heb 12:22-23], and gave himself for it;" -- Eph 5:25 KJV

He then remarried Israel under the new covenant, to fulfill this promise:

"Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the Lord: But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the Lord: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more." -- Jer 31:31-34 KJV

The fulfillment began at the cross:

"For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins." -- Mat 26:28 KJV

"Ye are the children of the prophets, and of the covenant which God made with our fathers, saying unto Abraham, And in thy seed shall all the kindreds of the earth be blessed. Unto you first God, having raised up his Son Jesus, sent him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from his iniquity." -- Acts 3:25-26 KJV

"I made a covenant with my chosen ones, I sware unto David my servant. I will establish thy seed for ever, and build up thy throne to all generations. Pause. The heavens shall declare thy wonders, O Lord; and thy truth in the assembly of the saints." -- Ps 88:3-5 LXX

LXX

Rev20

• Partial Preterist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 09:49:45 PM »

It appears the Lord took the kingdom away from the Jewish leadership ("the children of the devil", John 8:44) and gave it to the faithful remnant of Israel (the "holy nation"). That prophecy may have been fulfilled at the cross when Jesus took the control of the nations away from the devil (Luk 4:5-6; Psalms 82:8; Matt 28:18). At that time he also delivered the children of Israel from the bondage of the first covenant:

"For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband." -- Rom 7:2 KJV
. . .

When Jesus, the husband, died, his wife, Israel, was free from the law -- free from the old covenant:

"Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church [the assembly above in heavenly Jerusalem -- Heb 12:22-23], and gave himself for it;" -- Eph 5:25 KJV

He then remarried Israel under the new covenant . . .

That is very insightful, LXX.  It completely changed my understanding of Romans 7:2 and Eph 5:25.

Rev
:)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 01:24:19 AM by Administrator »
Pages: [1]