Bible Research Tools Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Bible Research Tools Discussion Forum is now online!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: The Prophecies of Zechariah 9 through 14  (Read 389 times)

LXXResearcher

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
The Prophecies of Zechariah 9 through 14
« on: September 13, 2017, 03:50:14 PM »

The Prophecies of Zechariah 9 through 14

The theme of Zechariah 9 through 14 carries us from the time of the triumphal entry of Jesus into Jerusalem, until the destruction of Jerusalem in A.D. 70. This interpretation assumes:
  • Only a very small remnant of the children of Israel are, in fact, Israel (Isa 1:9, 10:22; Rom 9:6-8, 27-29). The rest are the children of Satan (John 8:39-44; 1Th 2:14-16; Rev 2:9, 3:9).
  • The recognizable prophecies in each chapter -- those mentioned in the New Testament or by contemporary historians -- control the theme, with reliance on the understanding given to us in 1 Peter 1:9-12.
  • The unrecognizable prophecies -- those not mentioned in the New Testament or by contemporary historians -- are assumed to be related to adjacent recognizable prophecies in order to minimize wild speculations, such as those commonly associated with Zech 14:4-5.

Chapter 9 -- The Triumphal Entry

The theme of this chapter is Christ's triumphal entry into into Jerusalem upon a colt:

"Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion; shout, O daughter of Jerusalem: behold, thy King cometh unto thee: he is just, and having salvation; lowly, and riding upon an ass, and upon a colt the foal of an ass." -- Zec 9:9 KJV [see Matt 21:1-9; Mar 11:1-10; Luke 19:29-38; John 12:12-15]

The rest of the chapter is the subject of much speculation, though verse 10 seems to be referring to the (beginning of the) restoration of the two houses, at the time the Lord regains his rule over the nations from Satan:

"And I will cut off the chariot from Ephraim, and the horse from Jerusalem, and the battle bow shall be cut off: and he shall speak peace unto the heathen: and his dominion shall be from sea even to sea, and from the river even to the ends of the earth." -- Zec 9:10 KJV

"Speak ye comfortably to Jerusalem, and cry unto her, that her warfare is accomplished, that her iniquity is pardoned: for she hath received of the Lord's hand double for all her sins. The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make straight in the desert a highway for our God. Every valley shall be exalted, and every mountain and hill shall be made low: and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough places plain: And the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together: for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it." -- Isa 40:2-5 KJV

During Christ's ministry, the devil controlled all the nations:

"And the devil, taking him up into an high mountain, shewed unto him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time. And the devil said unto him, All this power will I give thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will I give it." -- Luk 4:5-6 KJV

After his resurrection, Jesus was all powerful:

"And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:" -- Mat 28:18-19 KJV

Chapter 10 -- The Restoration of the Two Houses of Israel

The theme of this chapter begins with a judgment against the apostates:

"For the idols have spoken vanity, and the diviners have seen a lie, and have told false dreams; they comfort in vain: therefore they went their way as a flock, they were troubled, because there was no shepherd. Mine anger was kindled against the shepherds, and I punished the goats: for the Lord of hosts hath visited his flock the house of Judah, and hath made them as his goodly horse in the battle." -- Zec 10:2-3 KJV

That was followed by a promise to restore the two houses:

"And I will strengthen the house of Judah, and I will save the house of Joseph, and I will bring them again to place them; for I have mercy upon them: and they shall be as though I had not cast them off: for I am the Lord their God, and will hear them . . . I will hiss for them, and gather them; for I have redeemed them: and they shall increase as they have increased." -- Zec 10:6,8 KJV

That promise is similar to the promises in Hosea 1 and 2, and in Amos 9:

"Then said God, Call [the house of Israel's] name Loammi: for ye are not my people, and I will not be your God . . . and it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people, there it shall be said unto them, Ye are the sons of the living God. Then shall the children of Judah and the children of Israel be gathered together, and appoint themselves one head, and they shall come up out of the land [to where?]: for great shall be the day of Jezreel." -- Hos 1:9-11 KJV

"And I will sow her unto me in the earth; and I will have mercy upon her that had not obtained mercy [Hos 1:6]; and I will say to them which were not my people [Hos 1:9], Thou art my people; and they shall say, Thou art my God." -- Hos 2:23 KJV

Amos foretold the harvest of the wheat and the tares:

"Behold, the eyes of the Lord God are upon the sinful kingdom, and I will destroy it from off the face of the earth; saving that I will not utterly destroy the house of Jacob, saith the Lord. For, lo, I will command, and I will sift the house of Israel among all nations, like as corn is sifted in a sieve, yet shall not the least grain fall upon the earth. All the sinners of my people shall die by the sword, which say, The evil shall not overtake nor prevent us." -- Amos 9:8-10 KJV

Both Peter and Paul wrote of those restorations as they were being fulfilled:

"But ye are a chosen [race], a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light; Which in time past were not a people [Hos 1:9], but are now the people of God [Hos 1:10-11, 2:23]: which had not obtained mercy [Hos 1:6], but now have obtained mercy [Hos 2:23]." -- 1Pet 2:9-10 KJV

"Even us, whom he hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the [NATIONS, not Gentiles]? As he saith also in Osee, I will call them my people, which were not my people [Hos 2:23]; and her beloved, which was not beloved. And it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people; there shall they be called the children of the living God. [Hos 1:10-11]" -- Rom 9:24-26 KJV

Paul's statement in Romans 9:24 is typically mistranslated and misinterpreted to include the Gentiles. But the theme of that passage -- the theme of virtually all of chapters 7 through 11-- is the destiny (the restoration and judgment) of the two houses of Israel. You can see the beginning of the theme, here:

"Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth?" -- Rom 7:1 KJV

Remember, Jesus and his disciples were not sent to the Gentiles, but to the lost sheep of the house of Israel:

"But [Jesus] answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel." -- Mat 15:24 KJV

"These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not: But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel." -- Mat 10:5-6 KJV

Chapter 11 -- The Betrayal of Christ and the Breaking of the Covenant

This theme begins with a prophecy of judgment against the land of Israel:

"For I will no more pity the inhabitants of the land, saith the Lord: but, lo, I will deliver the men every one into his neighbour's hand, and into the hand of his king: and they shall smite the land, and out of their hand I will not deliver them." -- Zec 11:6 KJV

Israel had broken the old covenant:

"Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the Lord:" -- Jer 31:31-32 KJV

So, this chapter foretells the Lord breaking his side of the covenant by his death:

"And I took my staff, even Beauty, and cut it asunder, that I might break my covenant which I had made with all the people. And it was broken in that day: and so the poor of the flock that waited upon me knew that it was the word of the Lord." -- Zec 11:10-11 KJV

Israel was bound to the old covenant (the Law) as long as her husband (the Lord) lived. Therefore, the covenant was broken when the Lord was crucified. As aforementioned, Paul explained it this way:

"Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth? For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband." -- Rom 7:1-2 KJV

"Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God." -- Rom 7:4 KJV

Christ's death paved the way for the new covenant (the New Testament):

"For this is my blood of the new testament (new covenant), which is shed for many for the remission of sins." -- Mat 26:28 KJV

But before the Lord was crucified, he was betrayed:

"And I said unto them, If ye think good, give me my price; and if not, forbear. So they weighed for my price thirty pieces of silver. And the Lord said unto me, Cast it unto the potter: a goodly price that I was prised at of them. And I took the thirty pieces of silver, and cast them to the potter in the house of the Lord." -- Zec 11:12-13 KJV

"Then Judas, which had betrayed him, when he saw that he was condemned, repented himself, and brought again the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders, Saying, I have sinned in that I have betrayed the innocent blood. And they said, What is that to us? see thou to that. And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself. And the chief priests took the silver pieces, and said, It is not lawful for to put them into the treasury, because it is the price of blood. And they took counsel, and bought with them the potter's field, to bury strangers in." -- Mat 27:3-7 KJV

Chapter 12 -- The Crucifixion of Christ

"And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn." -- Zec 12:10 KJV

"For these things were done, that the scripture should be fulfilled, A bone of him shall not be broken. And again another scripture saith, They shall look on him whom they pierced." -- John 19:36-37 KJV

At the time of his crucifixion there was great mourning in Jerusalem:

"In that day shall there be a great mourning in Jerusalem, as the mourning of Hadadrimmon in the valley of Megiddon. And the land shall mourn, every family apart; the family of the house of David apart, and their wives apart; the family of the house of Nathan apart, and their wives apart;" -- Zec 12:11-12 KJV

"And there followed him a great company of people, and of women, which also bewailed and lamented him. But Jesus turning unto them said, Daughters of Jerusalem, weep not for me, but weep for yourselves, and for your children. For, behold, the days are coming, in the which they shall say, Blessed are the barren, and the wombs that never bare, and the paps which never gave suck. Then shall they begin to say to the mountains, Fall on us; and to the hills, Cover us." -- Luk 23:27-30 KJV

Chapter 13 -- Scattering of the Disciples and the Destruction of Jerusalem

Prior to his crucifixion, Christ foretold the scattering of the disciples:

"Awake, O sword, against my shepherd, and against the man that is my fellow, saith the Lord of hosts: smite the shepherd, and the sheep shall be scattered: and I will turn mine hand upon the little ones." -- Zec 13:7 KJV

"And Jesus saith unto them, All ye shall be offended because of me this night: for it is written, I will smite the shepherd, and the sheep shall be scattered." -- Mar 14:27 KJV

"In that same hour said Jesus to the multitudes, Are ye come out as against a thief with swords and staves for to take me? I sat daily with you teaching in the temple, and ye laid no hold on me. But all this was done, that the scriptures of the prophets might be fulfilled. Then all the disciples forsook him, and fled." -- Mat 26:55-56 KJV

This chapter ends, and the next chapter begins, with a prophecy of the destruction of Jerusalem, and two parts of the people being cut off and killed:

"And it shall come to pass, that in all the land, saith the Lord, two parts therein shall be cut off and die; but the third shall be left therein." -- Zec 13:8 KJV

The third part of the people are tried by fire. Notice the use of the same words as those used in other restoration prophecies:

"And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried: they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The Lord is my God." -- Zec 13:9 KJV

"I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance. but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire: Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire." -- Mat 3:11-12 KJV

"As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the end of this [age]." -- Mat 13:40 KJV

"Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:" -- Mat 25:41 KJV

"Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is. If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire." -- 1Cor 3:13-15 KJV

"That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:" -- 1Pet 1:7 KJV

Chapter 14 -- The Change of the Guard

Verse 3 in the Masoretic Hebrew Text seems out of context with verses 1 and 2; so this passage may be best understood in the Greek Septuagint:

"Behold, the days of the Lord come, and thy spoils shall be divided in thee. And I will gather all the Gentiles to Jerusalem to war, and the city shall be taken, and the houses plundered, and the women ravished; and half of the city shall go forth into captivity, but the rest of my people shall not be utterly cut off from the city. And the Lord shall go forth, and fight with those Gentiles as when he fought in the day of war." -- Zec 14:1-3 LXX

That is what history records. It was also foretold by Christ in Luke:

"And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh. Then let them which are in Judaea flee to the mountains; and let them which are in the midst of it depart out; and let not them that are in the countries enter thereinto. For these be the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled . . . And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled." -- Luk 21:20-22, 24 KJV

And in his Revelation:

"Rejoice over her, thou heaven, and ye holy apostles and prophets; for God hath avenged you on her. And a mighty angel took up a stone like a great millstone, and cast it into the sea, saying, Thus with violence shall that great city Babylon be thrown down, and shall be found no more at all . . . And in her was found the blood of prophets, and of saints, and of all that were slain upon the earth." -- Rev 18:20-21,24 KJV

The day of Pentecost was also foretold by Zechariah:

"And it shall be in that day, that living waters shall go out from Jerusalem; half of them toward the former sea, and half of them toward the hinder sea: in summer and in winter shall it be." -- Zec 14:8 KJV

It was also foretold by the Lord in John:

"He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)" -- John 7:38-39 KJV

As prophesied, the river of living water began to flow on the day of Pentecost:

"Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear." -- Acts 2:33 KJV

"For the Lamb which is in the midst of the throne shall feed them, and shall lead them unto living fountains of waters: and God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes." -- Rev 7:17 KJV

The living water was quickly distributed to all nations by these devout Jews:

"And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven." -- Acts 2:5 KJV

And it continues flowing until this day, and forever more:

"And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb. In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations." -- Rev 22:1-2 KJV

The last part of chapter 14 foretells the changing of the guard:

"And the Lord shall be king over all the earth: in that day shall there be one Lord, and his name one." -- Zec 14:9 KJV

As aforementioned, the devil controlled the nations during Christ's ministry:

"And the devil, taking him up into an high mountain, shewed unto him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time. And the devil said unto him, All this power will I give thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will I give it." -- Luk 4:5-6 KJV

But Christ overcame Satan at the cross and re-took control of the nations:

"Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out." -- John 12:31 KJV

"And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels, And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven. And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him." -- Rev 12:7-9 KJV

"And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:" -- Mat 28:18-19 KJV

Jesus is the Lord, and has been reigning since the first century:

"Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made the same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ." -- Acts 2:36 KJV

"[Jesus] is gone into heaven, and is on the right hand of God; angels and authorities and powers being made subject unto him." -- 1Pet 3:22 KJV

"For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet. The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death." -- 1Cor 15:25-26 KJV

LXX

« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 12:19:36 AM by LXXResearcher »

Brenda

• View Profile
Re: The Prophecies of Zechariah 9 through 14
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 08:52:06 AM »

"Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth?" -- Rom 7:1 KJV

LXX, what you say makes sense, but my pastor gave a sermon on Romans 9 which also made sense. He said that verse 24 confirmed the promise is to both Jews and gentiles. He then quoted Galatians 3 which seemed to say the same thing he was saying.

Brenda

LXXResearcher

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 09:33:56 PM »

my pastor gave a sermon on Romans 9 which also made sense. He said that verse 24 confirmed the promise is to both Jews and gentiles. He then quoted Galatians 3 which seemed to say the same thing he was saying.

That is a common interpretation, Brenda; almost universal. But after carefully examining the context from chapter 7 through 11, I came to realize that the entire theme is focused on the destiny of the two houses of Israel, and not the Gentiles. Rather, the Gentiles are little more than an afterthought in those chapters. Look carefully at Chapter 9. It is all about Israel:

"For I could wish that myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh: Who are Israelites; to whom pertaineth the adoption, and the glory, and the covenants, and the giving of the law, and the service of God, and the promises; Whose are the fathers, and of whom as concerning the flesh Christ came, who is over all, God blessed for ever. Amen. Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel: Neither, because they are the seed of Abraham, are they all children: but, In Isaac shall thy seed be called . . . As it is written, Jacob [Israel] have I loved, but Esau have I hated." -- Rom 9:3-7, 13 KJV

"Esaias also crieth concerning Israel, Though the number of the children of Israel be as the sand of the sea, a remnant shall be saved: For he will finish the work, and cut it short in righteousness: because a short work will the Lord make upon the earth. And as Esaias said before, Except the Lord of Sabaoth had left us a seed, we had been as Sodoma, and been made like unto Gomorrha." -- Rom 9:27-29 KJV

Sandwiched between those two is this:

"What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction: And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory, Even us, whom he hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles? As he saith also in Osee, I will call them my people, which were not my people; and her beloved, which was not beloved. And it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people; there shall they be called the children of the living God." -- Rom 9:22-26 KJV

That makes no sense if Paul was singling out the Jews -- the house of Judah -- and did not include the house of Israel that was scattered among the nations; in particular when the referenced prophecy in Hosea is speaking ONLY of the two houses, with the house of Israel being the one that was called "not my people". In fact, it would only make sense that he was referring to the Gentiles if it was worded this way:

"Even us, whom he hath called, not of Israel only, but also of the Gentiles?" -- Rom 9:24 KJV

But even then it makes little sense when compared to the original prophecy of Hosea. However, if that passage is translated as it is in the Young's and Darby versions, it makes far more sense:

"not only out of Jews, but also out of nations," -- Rom 9:24 YLT 1862

"not only from amongst Jews, but also from amongst nations?" -- Rom 9:24 DARBY 1890

Using that translation, combined with the theme of Hosea 1 & 2 and the understanding that the house of Israel, and many Jews, were scattered among the nations, we have,

"not only from the Jews [or, Judaea], but [also] from the diaspora."

That, by they way, is the way Peter presented the Hosea prophecy to the scattered tribes in Asia Minor:

"But ye [diaspora] are a chosen [race], a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light; Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy." -- 1Pet 2:9-10 KJV

The first part of that passage -- verse 9 of 1st Peter 2 -- is a quote from another prophecy that was promised only to the faithful children of Israel:

"And now if ye will indeed hear my voice, and keep my covenant, ye shall be to me a peculiar people above all nations; for the whole earth is mine. And ye shall be to me a royal priesthood and a holy nation: these words shalt thou speak to the children of Israel." -- Exo 19:5-6 LXX

Gentile scholars have also staked a claim for a Gentile fulfillment of that prophecy, when the evidence, both in the original Exodus prophecy and in Peter's fulfillment, points directly to the children of Israel.

LXX

« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 01:33:35 AM by Administrator »

Administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bible Research Tools
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 10:49:39 PM »

The first part of that passage -- verse 9 of 1st Peter 2 -- is a quote from another prophecy that was promised only to the faithful children of Israel:

"And now if ye will indeed hear my voice, and keep my covenant, ye shall be to me a peculiar people above all nations; for the whole earth is mine. And ye shall be to me a royal priesthood and a holy nation: these words shalt thou speak to the children of Israel." -- Exo 19:5-6 LXX

Gentile scholars have also staked a claim for a Gentile fulfillment of that prophecy, when the evidence, both in the original Exodus prophecy and in Peter's fulfillment, points directly to the children of Israel.

In the Featured Sermon on on BRT web site, Dr. John MacArthur presents an example of staking a claim on that prophecy, beginning here:

Dan
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 01:34:03 AM by Administrator »

FaithIsKey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 10:31:28 PM »

In the Featured Sermon on on BRT web site, Dr. John MacArthur presents an example of staking a claim on that prophecy,

The words he emphasized, "chosen race", seems bizarre when talking about the Gentiles.  The Gentiles were not chosen for anything, nor are they a race.

Faith

Matt712

• Partial Preterist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 09:56:13 PM »

In the Featured Sermon on on BRT web site, Dr. John MacArthur presents an example of staking a claim on that prophecy,

The words he emphasized, "chosen race", seems bizarre when talking about the Gentiles.  The Gentiles were not chosen for anything, nor are they a race.

MacArthur is a Calvinist, and I understand that much of Calvin's doctrine was derived from Augustine's.  So it may have came from here:

"Thus it is said by the Apostle Paul,"That He might make known the riches of His glory on the vessels of mercy, which He had afore prepared unto glory, even us, whom He hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles. As He saith also in Hosea, I will call them my people, which were not my people; and her beloved, which was not beloved. And it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people, there shall they be called the children of the living God." Here Paul applies the prophecy to the Gentiles. So also Peter, writing to the Gentiles, without naming the prophet, borrows his expressions when he says, "But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye might show forth the praises of Him who has called you out of darkness into His marvellous light; which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy." From this it is plain that the words of the prophet, "And the number of the children of Israel shall be as the sand of the sea, which cannot be measured for multitude," and the words immediately following, "And it shall be that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people, there they shall be called the children of the living God," do not apply to that Israel which is after the flesh, but to that of which the apostle says to the Gentiles, 'Ye therefore are the seed of Abraham, and heirs according to the promise.'" [Philip Schaff, Augustine, Works, Reply to Faustus the Manichaean, "Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers Ser 1 Vol 04." Charles Scribner's Sons, 1887, Book XXII.89, Rom 9:25, 1Pet 2:9-10, p.309]

Augustine had no justification for such claims.  He simply made them up.  One could give him the benefit of the doubt on Romans 9:24, particularly if his translation had inserted "Gentiles" instead of "nations", like most of the modern translations. But there is no excuse for claiming 1st Peter was written to the Gentiles; there is zero textual evidence, from either the old or new testaments.

Matt
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 01:35:06 AM by Administrator »

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 10:58:25 PM »

That is a common interpretation, Brenda; almost universal. But after carefully examining the context from chapter 7 through 11, I came to realize that the entire theme is focused on the destiny of the two houses of Israel, and not the Gentiles. Rather, the Gentiles are little more than an afterthought in those chapters.

I'm really confused. I thought Paul was sent to the Gentiles.
Brenda

LXXResearcher

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 11:57:37 PM »

I'm really confused. I thought Paul was sent to the Gentiles.

I apologize for not addressing that point.  Paul was certainly sent to the Gentiles to help the Lord fulfill this prophecy:

"And he said to me, It is a great thing for thee to be called my servant, to establish the tribes of Jacob, and to recover the dispersion of Israel: behold, I have given thee for the covenant of a race, for a light of the Gentiles, that thou shouldest be for salvation to the end of the earth." -- Isa 49:6 LXX

Paul and Barnabas quoted that last clause almost word for word when explaining their mission:

"Then Paul and Barnabas waxed bold, and said, It was necessary that the word of God should first have been spoken to you: but seeing ye put it from you, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, lo, we turn to the Gentiles. For so hath the Lord commanded us, saying, I have set thee to be a light of the Gentiles, that thou shouldest be for salvation unto the ends of the earth." -- Acts 13:46-47 KJV

The disciples were sent to recover the dispersion for the Lord (the lost sheep of the house of Israel, Matt 10:5-6); while Paul and Barababas were sent to the Gentiles.

Paul, however, "magnified" his office (Rom 11:13-14) to try to reach as many of the "broken branches" from Israel as possible before they were permanently "cut off from the people" (Acts 3:22-23).

The point that probably needs to be cleared up is the destiny of the saved Gentiles vs the saved remnant of Israel. The remnant of Israel, the elect of God, received the blessings of Abraham and the promises of the Mosaic and New covenants, which included the royal priesthood and the oracles of God. Gentiles receive the blessings of Abraham and serve the Lord in heaven, but in a different capacity to the chosen people.

"Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree: That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith." -- Gal 3:13-14 KJV

That is a very "loaded" passage.  Notice how Paul jumps back and forth. 

• Clause 1: Israel is freed from the law by the death of Christ (Paul uses the word "us") [see Rom 7:1-4].

• Clause 2: Christ's death also frees him from his covenantal obligations to Israel so the blessings of Abraham can begin to flow to the Gentiles.

• Clause 3: Christ is also free to send the Holy Spirit to Israel (Paul uses the word "we") [see John 7:37-39].

Gentiles later received the Holy Spirit when they were allowed entry into the kingdom, but in what appears to be in limited capacities, such as speaking in tongues. Well, that is the way I read the text. 

Examples of a "hierarchy" in heaven can be found in many places, for example:

"And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That ye which have followed me, in the regeneration, when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel." -- Mat 19:28 KJV

Those thrones of judgment promised to the disciples are probably these:

"And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years." -- Rev 20:4 KJV

Another point of difference is the first redeemed were from the children of Israel:

"And I saw another angel ascending from the east, having the seal of the living God: and he cried with a loud voice to the four angels, to whom it was given to hurt the earth and the sea, Saying, Hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God in their foreheads. And I heard the number of them which were sealed: and there were sealed an hundred and forty and four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel." -- Rev 7:2-4 KJV

Those sealed servants of God from the tribes of Israel were later identified as the first redeemed:

"And I looked, and, lo, a Lamb stood on the mount Sion, and with him an hundred forty and four thousand, having his Father's name written in their foreheads . . . These were redeemed from among men, being the firstfruits unto God and to the Lamb." -- Rev 14:1, 4 KJV

The bottom line is, the faithful among both Gentiles and the Israelites are heirs according to the promise to Abraham. The difference will be in their roles in the kingdom.

LXX

« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 12:02:10 AM by LXXResearcher »

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 12:18:40 AM »

The bottom line is, the faithful among both Gentiles and the Israelites are heirs according to the promise to Abraham. The difference will be in their roles in the kingdom.

Remarkable.  Thank you, LXX.
Brenda

Matt712

• Partial Preterist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 12:31:49 PM »

Israel was bound to the old covenant (the Law) as long as her husband (the Lord) lived. Therefore, the covenant was broken when the Lord was crucified. As aforementioned, Paul explained it this way:

"Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth? For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband." -- Rom 7:1-2 KJV

"Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God." -- Rom 7:4 KJV

Christ's death paved the way for the new covenant (the New Testament):

"For this is my blood of the new testament (new covenant), which is shed for many for the remission of sins." -- Mat 26:28 KJV

I didn't catch that the first time I read it.  That explains everything.

Matt

« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 01:37:03 AM by Administrator »
Pages: [1]