Bible Research Tools Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Bible Research Tools Discussion Forum is now online!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: The Land Promise  (Read 276 times)

Administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bible Research Tools
The Land Promise
« on: January 14, 2017, 01:57:01 AM »

The Lord blessed Abraham [Abram] with the following blessings:

“Now the Lord had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father’s house, unto a land that I will shew thee: And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing: And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.” — Gen 12:1-3 KJV

“And Abram passed through the land unto the place of Sichem, unto the plain of Moreh. And the Canaanite was then in the land. And the Lord appeared unto Abram, and said, Unto thy seed will I give this land: and there builded he an altar unto the Lord, who appeared unto him.” — Gen 12:6-7 KJV

Later the Lord explained to Abraham that the promised land would stretch from the Euphrates in Mesopotamia to the Nile in Egypt:

“And the Lord said unto Abram, after that Lot was separated from him, Lift up now thine eyes, and look from the place where thou art northward, and southward, and eastward, and westward: For all the land which thou seest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed for ever. And I will make thy seed as the dust of the earth: so that if a man can number the dust of the earth, then shall thy seed also be numbered. Arise, walk through the land in the length of it and in the breadth of it; for I will give it unto thee.” — Gen 13:14-17 KJV

“In the same day the Lord made a covenant with Abram, saying, Unto thy seed have I given this land, from the river of Egypt unto the great river, the river Euphrates: The Kenites, and the Kenizzites, and the Kadmonites, And the Hittites, and the Perizzites, and the Rephaims, And the Amorites, and the Canaanites, and the Girgashites, and the Jebusites.” — Gen 15:18-21 KJV

Before his death, Abraham gave all that he had to Isaac [Genesis 25:5]. Later, the Lord promised both Isaac [Genesis 26:2-5] and Jacob [Genesis 28:13-14, 35:9-12] the land He had promised to Abraham. But there were two initial conditions:

1) that every male child be circumcised

2) that everyone do justice and judgment

Those conditions were laid out in these two passages:

“And I will give unto thee [Abraham], and to thy seed after thee, the land wherein thou art a stranger, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession; and I will be their God. And God said unto Abraham, Thou shalt keep my covenant therefore, thou, and thy seed after thee in their generations. This is my covenant, which ye shall keep, between me and you and thy seed after thee; Every man child among you shall be circumcised.” — Gen 17:8-10 KJV

“Seeing that Abraham shall surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall be blessed in him? For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the Lord, to do justice and judgment; that the Lord may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him.” — Gen 18:18-19 KJV

Later, before passing over Jordan, the Lord gave Israel a series of warnings, including these regarding the land:

“Defile not ye yourselves in any of these things: for in all these the nations are defiled which I cast out before you: And the land is defiled: therefore I do visit the iniquity thereof upon it, and the land itself vomiteth out her inhabitants. Ye shall therefore keep my statutes and my judgments, and shall not commit any of these abominations; neither any of your own nation, nor any stranger that sojourneth among you: (For all these abominations have the men of the land done, which were before you, and the land is defiled;) That the land spue not you out also, when ye defile it, as it spued out the nations that were before you. For whosoever shall commit any of these abominations, even the souls that commit them shall be cut off from among their people.” — Lev 18:24-29 KJV

“Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When ye are passed over Jordan into the land of Canaan; Then ye shall drive out all the inhabitants of the land from before you, and destroy all their pictures, and destroy all their molten images, and quite pluck down all their high places: And ye shall dispossess the inhabitants of the land, and dwell therein: for I have given you the land to possess it . . . But if ye will not drive out the inhabitants of the land from before you; then it shall come to pass, that those which ye let remain of them shall be pricks in your eyes, and thorns in your sides, and shall vex you in the land wherein ye dwell. Moreover it shall come to pass, that I shall do unto you, as I thought to do unto them.” — Num 33:51-53, 55-56 KJV

That last warning was the most serious, in that the Lord said, “I shall do unto you, as I thought to do unto [the nations being driven out]”. Moses explained later that the Lord intended to destroy those nations:

“And it shall be, if thou do at all forget the Lord thy God, and walk after other gods, and serve them, and worship them, I testify against you this day that ye shall surely perish. As the nations which the Lord destroyeth before your face, so shall ye perish; because ye would not be obedient unto the voice of the Lord your God.” — Deu 8:19-20 KJV

Shortly before receiving the covenant, Israel had promised to keep all of God’s commandments:

“And now if ye will indeed hear my voice, and keep my covenant, ye shall be to me a peculiar people above all nations; for the whole earth is mine. And ye shall be to me a royal priesthood and a holy nation: these words shalt thou speak to the children of Israel. And Moses came and called the elders of the people, and he set before them all these words, which God appointed them. And all the people answered with one accord, and said, All things that God has spoken, we will do and hearken to: and Moses reported these words to God.” — Exo 19:5-8 LXX

But soon afterward, Israel broke the covenant by making a golden calf. God then threatened to destroy Israel and give the promise to Moses and his seed:

“And the Lord said unto Moses, I have seen this people, and, behold, it is a stiffnecked people: Now therefore let me alone, that my wrath may wax hot against them, and that I may consume them: and I will make of thee [Moses] a great nation. And Moses besought the Lord his God, and said, Lord, why doth thy wrath wax hot against thy people, which thou hast brought forth out of the land of Egypt with great power, and with a mighty hand?” — Exo 32:9-11 KJV

Moses interceded on behalf of Israel, and the Lord repented; but things were never quite the same after that. However, from that event we know that the survival of a single seed of Israel was all that was necessary to fulfill the promises to Abraham [see also: Galatians 3:16-19].

In later generations, Joshua, Solomon and Nehemiah confirmed that the Lord had fulfilled his land promise to Israel:

“And the Lord gave unto Israel all the land which he sware to give unto their fathers; and they possessed it, and dwelt therein. And the Lord gave them rest round about, according to all that he sware unto their fathers: and there stood not a man of all their enemies before them; the Lord delivered all their enemies into their hand. There failed not ought of any good thing which the Lord had spoken unto the house of Israel; all came to pass.” — Jos 21:43-45 KJV

“Blessed be the Lord, that hath given rest unto his people Israel, according to all that he promised:there hath not failed one word of all his good promise, which he promised by the hand of Moses his servant.” — 1Kin 8:56 KJV

“Thou art the Lord the God, who didst choose Abram, and broughtest him forth out of Ur of the Chaldees, and gavest him the name of Abraham; And foundest his heart faithful before thee, and madest a covenant with [Abraham] to give the land of the Canaanites, the Hittites, the Amorites, and the Perizzites, and the Jebusites, and the Girgashites, to give it, I say, to his seed, and hast performed thy words; for thou art righteous:” — Neh 9:7-8 KJV

However, before the days of Solomon, Israel had already broken the covenant in two major ways, as David explained:

They did not destroy the nations, concerning whom the Lord commanded them: But were mingled among the heathen, and learned their works. And they served their idols: which were a snare unto them. Yea, they sacrificed their sons and their daughters unto devils, And shed innocent blood, even the blood of their sons and of their daughters, whom they sacrificed unto the idols of Canaan: and the land was polluted with blood.” — Ps 106:34-38 KJV

Therefore, it was just a matter of time until the Lord stripped Israel of its physical land. But would that be the end of the land promise to Israel?

No, not exactly. During the reign of King David, when Israel was well established in the physical land, the Lord made this prophetic promise of another place – another land in which dwelled righteousness:

“Moreover I will appoint a place for my people Israel, and will plant them, that they may dwell in a place of their own, and move no more; neither shall the children of wickedness afflict them any more, as beforetime,” — 2Sam 7:10 KJV

That promise was given to David [and Israel] at the time he was also given the promise of an eternal kingdom:

“And when thy days be fulfilled, and thou shalt sleep with thy fathers, I will set up thy seed after thee, which shall proceed out of thy bowels, and I will establish his kingdom. He shall build an house for my name, and I will stablish the throne of his kingdom for ever.” — 2Sam 7:12-13 KJV

We know that Solomon inherited the earthly kingdom from David, and that he built the Lord a physical house. But the earthly kingdom was permanently stripped from the seed of David during the days of Solomon’s descendant, Jeconiah:

“Thus saith the Lord, Write ye this man [Jeconiah] childless, a man that shall not prosper in his days: for no man of his seed shall prosper, sitting upon the throne of David, and ruling any more in Judah.” — Jer 22:30 KJV

Jesus was a descendant of Jeconiah through his son Salathiel and grandson Zorobabel [see: Matthew 1:12; Luke 3:27]. Therefore, the promise to David [and to his father Abraham] was not for an earthly kingdom, but rather an eternal heavenly kingdom, as explained in the Hebrews:

“By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went. By faith he sojourned in the land of promise, as in a strange country, dwelling in tabernacles with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise: For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God.” — Heb 11:8-10 KJV

“Through faith also Sara herself received strength to conceive seed, and was delivered of a child when she was past age, because she judged him faithful who had promised. Therefore sprang there even of one, and him as good as dead, so many as the stars of the sky in multitude, and as the sand which is by the sea shore innumerable. These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth. For they that say such things declare plainly that they seek a country. And truly, if they had been mindful of that country from whence they came out, they might have had opportunity to have returned. But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city.” — Heb 11:11-16 KJV

That heavenly city is New Jerusalem, the city of the living God on mount Sion:

“For ye are not come unto the mount that might be touched, and that burned with fire, nor unto blackness, and darkness, and tempest . . . But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels, To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect, And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.” — Heb 12:18, 22-24 KJV

That is the city in which the Lord reigns:

“Therefore thus saith the Lord, even the Lord, Behold, I lay for the foundations of Sion a costly stone, a choice, a corner-stone, a precious stone, for its foundations; and he that believes on him shall by no means be ashamed.” — Isa 28:16 LXX

“For in the last days the mountain of the Lord shall be glorious, and the house of God shall be on the top of the mountains, and it shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall come to it. And many nations shall go and say, Come, and let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, and to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will tell us his way, and we will walk in it: for out of Sion shall go forth the law, and the word of the Lord out of Jerusalem.” — Isa 2:2-3 LXX

“The Lord said to my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool. The Lord shall send out a rod of power for thee out of Sion: rule thou in the midst of thine enemies.” — Ps 110:1-2 LXX

“For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet.” — 1Cor 15:25 KJV

The house of God on mount Sion is a spiritual house:

“Now therefore ye [Gentiles] are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God; And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone; In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:” — Eph 2:19-21 KJV

“Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ. Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.” — 1Pet 2:5-6 KJV

That is the heavenly kingdom that Paul was seeking:

“And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom: to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.” — 2Tim 4:18 KJV

The heavenly kingdom is also the fulfillment of this prophecy:

“Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.” — John 18:36 KJV

Dan

Brenda

• View Profile
Re: The Land Promise
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 07:29:22 PM »

Thank you. What about the current nation of Israel?
Brenda

Administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bible Research Tools
Re: The Land Promise
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 12:27:15 PM »

What about the current nation of Israel?

I am not sure what their motive is, but according to the scripture they are not the Israel of God. Those who refused to hear Christ were cut-off from the people:

“I will raise up to them a prophet of their brethren, like thee; and I will put my words in his mouth, and he shall speak to them as I shall command him. And whatever man shall not hearken to whatsoever words that prophet shall speak in my name, I will take vengeance on him.” — Deu 18:18-19 LXX

“[Peter said, ] For Moses truly said unto the fathers, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear in all things whatsoever he shall say unto you. And it shall come to pass, that every soul, which will not hear that prophet, shall be destroyed from among the people.” — Acts 3:22-23 KJV

In Paul’s allegory of the Olive Tree (Israel), the natural branches were the believers among the children of Israel, while the unbelievers were branches that were “cut off” from Israel, as foretold by Moses. Those “broken branches” could be “grafted back in” ONLY if they no longer abode in unbelief [Rom 11:23], in the same manner in which the Gentiles were converted and grafted into the tree.

Keeping with the theme of Moses, Paul explained that circumcision was spiritual — a circumcision of the heart. The true Jews were those Jews who accepted Christ:

“For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh: But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.” — Rom 2:28-29 KJV

“For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh.” — Phi 3:3 KJV

Jesus warned against those who claimed to be Jews, but would or could not hear Him:

“Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word. Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.” — John 8:43-44 KJV

“Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee.” — Rev 3:9 KJV

That last passage is telling in that it is a fulfillment of this prophecy about the holy temple and new Jerusalem:

“10 And the sons of strangers shall build up thy walls, and their kings shall minister unto thee: for in my wrath I smote thee, but in my favour have I had mercy on thee. 11 Therefore thy gates shall be open continually; they shall not be shut day nor night; that men may bring unto thee the forces of the Gentiles, and that their kings may be brought. 12 For the nation and kingdom that will not serve thee shall perish; yea, those nations shall be utterly wasted . . . 14 The sons also of them that afflicted thee shall come bending unto thee; and all they that despised thee shall bow themselves down at the soles of thy feet; and they shall call thee; The city of the Lord, The Zion of the Holy One of Israel.” — Isa 60:10-12,14 KJV

Compare Rev 3:9 with Isaiah 60:14, above:

“I will make them to come and worship before thy feet”

“all they that despised thee shall bow themselves down at the soles of thy feet”

The apostate Jews that rejected Christ will “bow down and worship before the feet” of those who accepted him [the Church].

Notice also that Gentiles build up the walls of the temple. Paul wrote of that fulfillment when Gentiles were welcomed into the Commonwealth of Israel [Eph 2:11-12] as structural members of the holy temple, with Jesus, the prophets, and the apostles forming the foundation:

“Now therefore ye [Gentiles] are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God; And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone; In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:” — Eph 2:19-21 KJV

I could go on and on; but in general there is only one way to salvation:

“Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.” — John 14:6 KJV

Those who reject Jesus are not of God, no matter who they claim as ancestors.

Dan

Pages: [1]