Bible Research Tools Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Bible Research Tools Discussion Forum is now online!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Land Types and Shadows  (Read 191 times)

LXXResearcher

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
Land Types and Shadows
« on: January 17, 2017, 09:24:14 AM »

Last year I posted an article titled "This Generation Shall Not Pass Away" in which I made this statement:

"How did the Lord have mercy upon his land, but by kicking the Jews off the land in the way he did in the days of the Babylonian captivity after Judah violated the land sabbath"

I now believe that to be incorrect. Recently, while listening to Rod MacArthur's continuing series titled "Probing the Prophets", he explained that the old covenant physical land was a "type" for the new covenant land, which is the people. He derived his interpretation from several verses, including this one which I included in my article:

"Rejoice, O ye nations, with his people: for he will avenge the blood of his servants, and will render vengeance to his adversaries, and will be merciful unto his land, and to his people." -- Deu 32:43 KJV

Mr. MacArthur explained that the proper translation for the last portion is: "unto his land--his people". That is, under the new covenant, the land is the people, not the physical land. Young's Literal Translation renders the verse in that manner:

"Sing ye nations--[with] his people, For the blood of His servants He avengeth, And vengeance He turneth back on His adversaries, And hath pardoned His land--His people." -- Deu 32:43 YLT 1862

Mr. MacArthur also mentioned that the nations are the Lord's people. That is, Deut 32:43 should begin: "Rejoice, O ye nations--his people".

If Mr. Young had not inserted the word "[with]", his translation would match Mr. MacArthur's: "Sing ye nations--his people".

That changes a lot in my understanding. Using that interpretation, the phrase "the meek shall inherit the earth [γῆν, 'land']", now means "the meek shall have an inheritance in the body of Christ, which is 'the land'".

I would like to hear your comments.

Rod MacArthur"s "Probing the Prophets" series can be accessed on Blog Talk Radio.

LXX

Pages: [1]