Bible Research Tools Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Bible Research Tools Discussion Forum is now online!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dr. Douglas Petrovich - A Chronological Framework for Israelite History  (Read 135 times)

Administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bible Research Tools

Dr. Douglas Petrovich, in a "Is Genesis History" lecture titled "Introduction to Biblical Archaeology", presents an analysis of the biblical timeline based partially on archaeological discoveries, and partially on a reevaluation of key biblical passages:

His findings place the date of the flood at 3108 BC, a few years after our Septuagint (LXX) Timeline of 3135; but he places the birth of Abraham about 200 years earlier than the LXX at 2166 vs 1962. Yet, his Exodus date or 1446 BC, falls back into the ballpark of the LXX 1457 date. One of his interpretive keys is choosing the 430 year sojourn in Egypt from the MT, rather than the 430 years for both Canaan and Egypt as implied in the Septuagint and Galatians. His justification for choosing that  sojourn time can be found here:

It also appears he uses the century-smaller MT begat ages for Arphaxad to Terah, for example:

"And Peleg lived thirty years, and begat Reu:" -- Gen 11:18 MT (KJV)

"And Phaleg lived and hundred and thirty years, and begot Ragau." -- Gen 11:18 LXX

His overall analysis appears quite plausible.  Check it out and see what you think.

Dr. Petrovich received a PhD from the University of Toronto in Syro-Palestinian archaeology, with minors in ancient Egyptian language, and ancient Near Eastern religions. 

Dan

LXXResearcher

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel

Dr. Douglas Petrovich, in a "Is Genesis History" lecture titled "Introduction to Biblical Archaeology", presents an analysis of the biblical timeline based partially on archaeological discoveries, and partially on a reevaluation of key biblical passages . . . Check it out and see what you think.

Dan, that is a good analysis by Dr. Petrovich; but I cannot resolve the conflicts caused by the ancestry of Moses as pointed out in this video by Nathan Hoffman:

The passages in question include:

"And these are the names of the children of Israel, which came into Egypt, Jacob and his sons: Reuben, Jacob's firstborn . . . And the sons of Levi; Gershon, Kohath, and Merari." -- Gen 46:8,11 KJV

"And these were the sons of Levi by their names; Gershon, and Kohath, and Merari." -- Num 3:17 KJV

"And the sons of Kohath by their families; Amram, and Izehar, Hebron, and Uzziel." -- Num 3:19 KJV

"The sons of Levi; Gershon, Kohath, and Merari. And the sons of Kohath; Amram, Izhar, and Hebron, and Uzziel. And the children of Amram; Aaron, and Moses, and Miriam. The sons also of Aaron; Nadab, and Abihu, Eleazar, and Ithamar." -- 1Chr 6:1-3 KJV

LXX

Administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bible Research Tools

Dan, that is a good analysis by Dr. Petrovich; but I cannot resolve the conflicts caused by the ancestry of Moses as pointed out in this video by Nathan Hoffman:

LXX,

Thanks for the reminder.  I mentioned the Moses ancestry conflict in this post:

Search for the words "Wood's source" (without double-quotes), then read on from there.

Dan

Administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bible Research Tools

LXX, check out this analysis of Exo 12:40 by Dr. Petrovich:

The DSS reads:

"Now the time that the children of Israel lived in the land of Egypt was four hundred thirty years." - Exo 12:40 DSS

Dan

« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 09:44:54 PM by Administrator »

LXXResearcher

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel

LXX, check out this analysis of Exo 12:40 by Dr. Petrovich:

The DSS reads:

"Now the time that the children of Israel lived in the land of Egypt was four hundred thirty years." - Exo 12:40 DSS

Thanks, Dan. 

I still cannot resolve the ancestry of Moses when combined with the statement by Paul in Galatians, who was obviously quoting from the Septuagint. When I weigh the DSS and LXX, I have to ask myself: which was first?

The bottom line is, we do not have the 1st Chronicles 6th chapter scrolls, that I am aware of; and there is nothing in the other scrolls, or the scripture, that clearly adds more generations to the ancestry of Moses.

As it stands now, we have:

"The sons of Levi; Gershon, Kohath, and Merari. And the sons of Kohath; Amram, Izhar, and Hebron, and Uzziel. And the children of Amram; Aaron, and Moses, and Miriam. The sons also of Aaron; Nadab, and Abihu, Eleazar, and Ithamar." -- 1Chr 6:1-3 KJV

Since Kohath went into Egypt with Jacob, that would require Kohath and Amran to have lived a very long time, and/or to have had their children at very old ages.

What am I missing?

LXX

« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 10:59:56 AM by LXXResearcher »

FaithIsKey

• View Profile

I still cannot resolve the ancestry of Moses when combined with the statement by Paul in Galatians, who was obviously quoting from the Septuagint. When I weigh the DSS and LXX, I have to ask myself: which was first?

The bottom line is, we do not have the 1st Chronicles 6th chapter scrolls, that I am aware of; and there is nothing in the other scrolls, or the scripture, that clearly adds more generations to the ancestry of Moses.

Since Kohath went into Egypt with Jacob, that would require Kohath and Amran to have lived a very long time, and/or to have had their children at very old ages.

What am I missing?

Holy cow!

Faith

Administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bible Research Tools

What am I missing?

I have been pondering this since it was last discussed in the "Where Is Biblical Sodom" forum thread, during which Ron added this analysis:

This seems to be the key passage in Ron's analysis:

"And he said unto Abram, Know of a surety that thy seed shall be a stranger in a land that is not theirs, and shall serve them; and they shall afflict them four hundred years; And also that nation, whom they shall serve, will I judge: and afterward shall they [thy seed] come out with great substance. And thou shalt go to thy fathers in peace; thou shalt be buried in a good old age. But in the fourth generation they [thy seed] shall come hither again: for the iniquity of the Amorites is not yet full." -- Gen 15:13-16 KJV

As you can see, it is not so much about Israel, as it is about the seed of Abraham, which began with Isaac. Abraham was promised that his seed would be released from servitude in the fourth generation, and would come out with great substance.

I will be starting a new topic for further discussion on "The Exodus" board, titled "The 430 Year Sojourn".

Dan
Pages: [1]